Juventus chief Andrea Agnelli denies Cristiano Ronaldo will walk away despite Champions League exit

0
8
Andrea Agnelli has denied claims that Cristiano Ronaldo will look to force a move away


‘I am entirely convinced he will stay’: Juventus chief Andrea Agnelli denies Cristiano Ronaldo will walk away from the club despite latest Champions League heartbreak with exit against Lyon in the last 16

  • Cristiano Ronaldo suffered a last-16 European exit for the first time since 2010 
  • Juventus were knocked out on the away goals rule by French outfit Lyon 
  • A report in France Football claimed Ronaldo had considered a move to PSG 
  • But Andrea Agnelli believes the report being released was media mischief

Juventus chief Andrea Agnelli has denied claims that Cristiano Ronaldo will look to force a move away from the club following their Champions League exit.

The Portuguese suffered an exit at the last-16 stage of the competition for the first time since 2010 against Lyon despite scoring both goals in their 2-1 win on the night.

The Serie A champions were knocked out on the away goals rule having suffered a 1-0 defeat in the French city before the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.  

Andrea Agnelli has denied claims that Cristiano Ronaldo will look to force a move away

Ronaldo suffered an exit at the last-16 stage of the competition for the first time since 2010

Ronaldo suffered an exit at the last-16 stage of the competition for the first time since 2010

Prior to Friday night’s second leg, a report from France Football suggested the 35-year-old had been looking to push through a move to Paris Saint-Germain before the Covid-19 outbreak to form a ‘dream’ partnership with Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.

It was claimed the former Real Madrid star had become frustrated with the lack of progress the club were making, and despite Juventus’ barren run in the Champions League continuing, Agnelli believes the report was the result of media mischief.

‘I am entirely convinced he will stay,’ Agnelli told Sky Sport Italia.

‘I think the report was down to an interview from several months ago, which just happened to be published just before we played against a French team. It’s an old media trick.

They were knocked out by Lyon despite Ronaldo scoring twice on the night in Turin

They were knocked out by Lyon despite Ronaldo scoring twice on the night in Turin

A report in France said he had considered a move to PSG but Agnelli is convinced he will stay

A report in France said he had considered a move to PSG but Agnelli is convinced he will stay

‘No, I can assure you that Ronaldo remains a pillar of Juventus.’

Agnelli also praised Ronaldo’s performance on Friday night but insisted the club must now focus on achieving success on two fronts next season. 

‘This season has been evidently bittersweet. It has been a very difficult campaign, we achieved a great result winning our ninth consecutive campaign and wrote a fantastic chapter in the history books,’ Agnelli continued. 

‘Maurizio deserves his own extraordinary page for himself, going from the amateur leagues to winning the Scudetto.

It was claimed Ronaldo had become frustrated with the lack of progress the club were making

It was claimed Ronaldo had become frustrated with the lack of progress the club were making

‘In the Champions League, obviously, it’s disappointing for us, for the players and the fans. As I said several times in recent years, the Champions league was a dream, now it has to be an objective.

‘Going out like this is going to be a huge disappointment. We will take the next few days to consider, evaluate and decide how to go forward next season.

‘Juventus have these objectives, they have to be honoured, both domestically and in Europe. We have the best player in the history of the Champions League, which he proved again tonight, and we must start again with renewed enthusiasm.’

Advertisement



Source link