Newcastle’s trip to face Aston Villa postponed after Covid-19 outbreak

0
9
Newcastle


Newcastle’s match at Aston Villa becomes first Premier League game POSTPONED due to a local Covid-19 outbreak, with fears that MORE players have the virus after five positive tests for the North East club

  • There has been a coronavirus outbreak within the Newcastle United squad
  • Their game against Aston Villa on Friday evening has since been called off
  • It is thought going to Villa Park could increase Newcastle’s number of infections 
  • The Magpies cancelled training and have closed the club’s Benton headquarters

Newcastle United’s trip to Aston Villa on Friday has become the first Premier League fixture to be postponed because of a Covid-19 outbreak.

The Magpies confirmed on Tuesday afternoon that their request for the game to be postponed had been granted by the Premier League.

Sportsmail understands the club had severe concerns that the spread of the virus within their first-team squad would become worse should they travel to and from Birmingham. 

Newcastle’s Premier League game against Aston Villa has been postponed due to Covid-19

Newcastle were unable to train on Monday after a coronavirus outbreak in their camp

Newcastle were unable to train on Monday after a coronavirus outbreak in their camp

We have been told that the number of infected individuals is ‘more severe’ than the five that were reported on Monday – forcing the closure of the club’s training ground – and could yet rise.

The concern they had is that some individuals who have tested negative this week could have travelled with the group only to later test positive, as is suspected happened during last weekend’s trip to Crystal Palace.

Newcastle’s players have been told to stay away from the training ground and have not trained since last week. 

There were fears that going to Villa Park will increase the amount of infections in the squad

There were fears that going to Villa Park will increase the amount of infections in the squad 

Not all players and staff are self-isolating – only those who have tested positive or have been deemed close contacts – and they have been warned not to discuss the matter between themselves.

Sportsmail broke the news on Monday evening that the Villa game was in doubt after a planned training session earlier that day was scrapped in light of the outbreak.

Newcastle’s statement on Tuesday added: ‘Newcastle United was one of the first clubs in the country to close its training ground prior to the first national lockdown in March and the club introduced comprehensive Covid-19 protocols in line with Premier League and government guidance to protect its players and staff ahead of Project Restart.

Villa (seen against Newcastle in June 2020) said they supported the decision to postpone

Villa (seen against Newcastle in June 2020) said they supported the decision to postpone

‘While club has continued to ensure strict adherence to these protocols, and despite previously experiencing only a very small number of isolated Covid-19 cases, positive test results have risen sharply in recent days. 

‘Accordingly, the club is now is working with Public Health England North East (PHE) and the Premier League in line with Covid-19 protocols to identify the source of the outbreak and to ensure the risk of further transmission continues to be minimised.

‘All players and training ground staff will be re-tested this week and a meeting between the club, Premier League and PHE will take place to assess the test results.

‘The club will not be naming individuals who have contracted Covid-19 and asks that their privacy is respected.’

Travelling to Villa Park and staying overnight reportedly raised concerns in Newcastle's group

Travelling to Villa Park and staying overnight reportedly raised concerns in Newcastle’s group

Advertisement



Source link