Physical products present huge challenges and opportunities alike for first-time funnel hackers.
It’s easy to sabotage your results if your physical funnel isn’t set to convert.
Luckily, we’ve outlined the five elements that can make just about any funnel more likely to convert without a complete overhaul of your site.
The beauty of a sales funnel is that it’s dead-simple to sell just about anything. Launch your product, create your sales funnel, drive traffic, sell, sell, sell.
So why isn’t everyone using sales funnels to sell physical products?
Perhaps it’s because physical products are a bit of an enigma in the digital age.
Given the popularity of informational products (e-books, webinars, and courses) with a traditionally lower overhead and a smaller price point, it’s natural to gravitate toward digital products if you’re a first-timer in the funnel-hacking space.
Consider also some of the mental barriers that customers run into when it comes to buying physical products such as…
- Dealing with unforeseen shipping costs (which is a huge contributing factor to cart abandonment)
- Overcoming the trust barrier for a brand that customers aren’t familiar with (giving their address and credit card information to a relatively unknown company)
- Bouncing to a competing affiliate or big box site (such as Amazon) in search of a cheaper alternative
- Concern for getting the right fit — many consumers get nervous about purchasing items like shoes, glasses, bedding, or other items that require the perfect fit.
However, each of these barriers can easily be overcome when you understand how to implement some key elements in your sales funnel (which we’ll cover here shortly).
The Big Benefits of Selling Physical Products
Here’s a question: why should you hop on the bandwagon of selling physical products via funnel-hacking at all? Isn’t selling online always going to be easier?
But that doesn’t mean you should avoid selling physical products. In fact, there are some serious benefits.
For starters, consider the following:
- Physical products are “what you see is what you get” and you’re not selling people on the “promise” of a transformation through your marketing.
- You can easily create frequent, repeat business through physical products (a weight loss supplement that sells for $30 a bottle, provided monthly, for example).
- Unlike informational products, physical products cannot be pirated (as easily) or repackaged by your competitors.
- Consumers experience a greater sense of ownership with physical products and they enjoy the tactile experience (Statista).
If you want to sell physical products — if you have a grand idea for a product or business that you think can really make a splash, don’t hesitate. The day hasn’t yet come (and probably never will come) where physical products are completely irrelevant. Instead, take a proactive approach and start making your physical funnel sooner rather than later.
But… what should your physical product funnel look like? How can you craft a sales funnel that sells physical products like crazy?
Allow me to introduce you to a little thing we call the Tripwire Funnel.
The Tripwire Funnel: The Perfect Funnel For Selling Physical Products
The tripwire sales funnel is a method by which you can sell physical products one page at a time. And the best part is, it’s psychologically proven to work.
ClickFunnel’s members have literally sold millions of dollars worth of products using the tripwire funnel — you can use it, too!
(Just check out this case study to learn more!)
Here’s how it works.
First, the prospect goes to the sales page where they can enter their shipping and account information. The trick here is to make this product a no-brainer offer and a no-brainer price for your target market — something that they just have to buy.
After they enter their information and click the button at the bottom of the form, they will go to the second page of the tripwire funnel, which we call the OTO or One-Time-Offer page. This is where you offer them the real product that you want to sell them at a discount or price they can’t resist.
Finally, the prospect goes to the confirmation page. This page is actually an “offer wall” page, which contains a review of what they just purchased plus a few other options for them to tack onto their purchase.
The tripwire sales funnel converts like clockwork — and you can use it to sell physical products all day long.
But you don’t have to take our word for it. Get your free tripwire funnel over here and test it out for yourself!
Your Sales Funnel Does NOT Have To Be Immaculate (It’s All About Conversions)
Despite popular belief, your website doesn’t have to be immaculate, especially if you’re building a funnel for the first time.
In fact, one might argue that it’s good to make a few rookie mistakes the first time around so you can fix them when you build your next one.
The one aspect of any funnel that newbies struggle with the most is conversions, which makes perfect sense.
Turning your traffic into dollars and cents is the dream of every online marketer; however, many fail because they don’t have a conversion optimization strategy in place.
Think about it.
You can have a killer product that’s proven to sell.
You have a beautiful website and sexy sales funnel.
And you can still not make a dime because you’re not converting anyone once they reach your funnel.
Beyond making the buying process as smooth and painless as possible, you need to make sure that your funnel has the mission-critical elements that will turn clicks into conversions.
Conversion optimization often requires some legwork, but it’s worth it in the end.
Creating the bait that gets people hyped is one thing, but convincing them to hand over their hard-earned cash is the key to becoming a full-fledged funnel hacker.
Thankfully, there are actionable steps you can take to turn your traffic into sales.
Whether you’re just starting out or are making the transition toward selling physical products, make sure you utilize each of the below sales funnel tactics.
1. Don’t Leave Out the Photos and Video
Visual content represents one of the most powerful tools in your arsenal when it comes to reeling in buyers with questions or concerns.
This is especially true when you’re selling physical products.
From YouTube videos to photos of your products in action, you need to give your audience something pretty to look at if you want to increase engagement and improve your conversion rate.
While written content is great for targeting keywords and hyping up your readers, giving them something to look at is the icing on the cake that ensures that your products pop.
For starters, make sure you have the following visuals implemented without fail:
Easily add photos and videos to your funnels with the use of the image and video elements on the ClickFunnels Editor. Simply Login to your ClickFunnels Account > Head on over to your funnel > Choose the step you want to add image and videos to > drag and drop the video or image elements > Save your progress.
2. Hit Them with Headlines
According to some popular statistics, 80% of people read the headline, but only 20% of people read the copy — in other words, the headline is about 4 times more important than other sales copy.
But it’s when both your copy and your headline work together in harmony that the real magic happens.
Killer copy and headlines are often the secret sauce that can take any piece of your funnel to the next level.
For example, think about the importance of copy and headlines regarding the following:
- Email subject lines, fighting for the attention of your list in the face of an incredibly crowded inbox.
- Landing pages, striving to catch the eyes of your traffic at a glance to keep them from bouncing.
- Content pages, with so much content out there, ask yourself: how are you going to hold your readers’ attention long enough for them to get to your call-to-action?
If you’re unsure or whether your headlines are packing a punch, consider the following angles you can take such as…
- Emphasizing the customer through use of the word “you,” creating an emotional connection that helps create a sense of empathy surrounding your product.
- Crazy claims and eye-popping statistics, whether it be saving your leads hundreds of dollars or helping them lose dozens of pounds in no time.
- Describing an amazing discovery, creating a sense of exclusivity as your leads have found themselves on the ground floor of something great.
While there are plenty of approaches, keep the following rules in mind every time you craft a new headline:
- Shorter is better regarding length (just make your words count).
- Personalized copy often performs well: the more opportunities to use your leads’ first name or “you,” the better.
- Keep them guessing: use your headlines to pose questions and pique curiosity instead of giving too much away on the front-end of your pitch.
From looking at your competition to understanding the principles of killer copy, there’s plenty of inspiration to draw from as you craft and test your headlines to make sure that they convert.
You can create killer copy without breaking a sweat… and you don’t have to be a copywriting pro to do it! Funnel Scripts lets you plug-and-chug proven-to-convert sales copy write onto any page of your sales funnel.
3. Strong Social Proof
Having testimonials on behalf of your product and brand is an absolute must. 57% of consumers will only buy from a business with at least a 4-star rating and 97% of people say that online reviews impact their purchasing decisions.
In an era where most buyers trust reviews as much as they do a referral from a friend, you’re dead in the water without social proof in your sales funnel.
This is especially true for first-time customers who are buying physical products.
If you need testimonials, consider getting them from the following places…
- Satisfied customers from previous sales or interactions (just an email or Facebook message away).
- Look through social comments and hashtags to see if anyone has left any positive feedback about your product or brand.
- Use reviews lifted from other affiliates (who may be able to provide them on their own behalf).
Likewise, you should do everything in your power to encourage future feedback (such as discounts and benefits) from your existing list.
The more testimonials you have, the more likely you are to secure business down the road.
4. Don’t Just Tell Them, Show Them
You can talk about how great your product is all day long; however, it means absolutely nothing until you can provide concrete proof.
For this reason, how-to’s and educational content coupled with visuals are huge game-changers regarding conversions.
For example, think about how you could implement the following within your sales funnels:
- Tutorial videos which show off your product in a real-world setting, including “how-to” content using your product.
- Before and after photos and videos, which display positive results from your product (insanely popular in the weight loss and fitness niche).
- Reviews or “versus” videos, pitting your product against another and explaining why yours is superior.
Such content not only helps diversify your funnel but also target keywords and position yourself as a helpful resource to your traffic.
5. Understand The Elements of Trust
Remember: selling physical products is all about creating a sense of trust.
Even the most subtle elements of your funnel such as a solid refund policy and seals of verification can go a long way toward building trust.
For starters, these elements make your brand seem like a big deal as you’re incredibly confident in what you’re selling.
Additionally, you wouldn’t offer a money-back if you didn’t really believe in your product, would you?
Although refund policies can take many shapes and sizes, you should stress the fact that satisfaction is indeed guaranteed with every purchase.
You can implement your guarantee throughout your funnel to stress it to your traffic: for example, implement it on your landing page and through an exit intent pop-up.
Similarly, seals of verification represent a simple visual cue that signals trust and helps your buyers understand that you’re looking out for their best interest.
How Do You Sell More Physical Products?
Selling physical products in the digital age can be a huge challenge for funnel-hackers.
Rather than leaving money on the table, make sure that your site and funnel alike have the right tools to optimize it for conversions.
How do you seal the deal with physical funnel products?
Any tips for first-timers looking to get their feet wet with physical products?
You could also check out our NEW Funnel Cookbook to learn more.
Let us know in the comments below.