Euro 2020 England vs Bulgaria qualifying match was twice stopped due to fans’ racist behaviour. The Sofia match was twice halted when racism from Bulgarian fans was directed towards black English players Raheem Sterling and Tyrone Mings. England won 6-0. Dan and Catherine discuss the story and teach you the language in this free English lesson.
Racism has overshadowed a football match between England and Bulgaria in Sofia. The referee stopped the game twice in the first half after Bulgarian fans directed racist chants and gestures towards the black English players Raheem Sterling and Tyrone Mings
The match came close to being called off completely. England won 6-0.
Key words and phrases
made to seem less important than something else
• The wedding was overshadowed by several people getting food poisoning.
• Feeling overshadowed, Steph changed her name to escape her family’s legacy.
rude body movement that communicates an idea
• As the comedian left the stage, he made a lewd gesture that the audience applauded.
• “I will not tolerate lewd gestures from students,” said the teacher.
(as) clear as day
easy to see or understand
• That the politician had lost the election was as clear as day.
• This was where I first met your mother. I remember it as clear as day.
Which of these phrasal verbs means to ‘cancel a planned event’?
a) call in
b) call out
c) call off
d) call on
For the answer, watch this on our website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-11/session-112
Learning English is easy! Improve your English with our free English videos and lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and English exams.
Please use English when you comment.
For more free English lessons and videos visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com